Monday, March 28, 2011

Tests are Boring

Obama Says Too Much Testing Makes Education Boring” by Stacy Anderson
NPR, March 28, 2011 Accessed: March 28, 2011

Topic: Standardized testing is not the way to go.

Summary: Obama is pushing for a rewrite of federal education laws. He is critical of No Child Left Behind and of the overuse of standardized testing.

Intended audience: General Public

Key Points:

  • Too much testing makes education boring for kids.
  • “Schools should be judged on criteria other than student test performance, including attendance rate”
  • Obama administration would like to change standards from No Child Left Behind to a new standard saying that by 2020 all students graduating from high school should be ready for college or a career.

Relevance: Teaching to the test is a hot topic as is No Child Left Behind. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. What does “ready for college or a career” even mean? I’ve also posted a video from during Obama’s campaign for president that shows his opinion then is in-tune with his opinion now on the issue of standardized testing.





2 comments:

  1. After reading this article, I guess I am a little confused. The information we have been reading up to this point has shown Pres. Obama and Education Secretary Duncan stating we still need to have the same testing and here is saying that he does not want those tests. Diane Ravitch as well as many others in education were decrying the continuation of testing and really criticizing the Obama Administration.

    So, what gives? Is it because it is a law that they have to keep giving the tests? I do not recall Obama coming out and saying stop the tests. Am I wrong on that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking out of both sides of his mouth. I do it ALL the time - UGH. I am not dissing the president - just saying. It is so hard to make everyone happy. He acknowledges how boring tests are but what can he do about it? Maybe just the acknowledgement is nice - just being able to give voice to it. I would love some action - but - I have no great suggestions - so I will be careful to not be to harsh or critical - at least that is what I will try to do. But as I already said I struggle with speaking out of both sides of my mouth. So maybe you will hear me being critical - frustration does boil over at times.

    ReplyDelete