Monday, March 21, 2011

Ironic Extremes: Lauding and Bashing Teachers

Valerie Strauss
"Ironic Extremes: Lauding and bashing teachers"Washington Post
March 17, 2011

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/ironic_extremes_lauding_and_bashing_teachers/2011/03/17/ABlCnql_blog.html?wprss=rss_education
Topic: Teacher Motivation

More on the issue of judging and measuring what makes a quality teacher.

Key Points: This article does make a good point. As a pilot, I never had someone who was not a pilot, judge my performance. I never had someone who was not a pilot determine what my syllabus would be during flight training. Everyone is good at being a 20/20 hindsight armchair quarterback, but no one wants an armchair quarterback actually making the play calls. On the other hand, if your aircraft does not adhere to the flight plan or the football team consistently loses, well, don’t expect to be sticking with that career for too long.

I don’t mind being held to a set professional standard but, that standard must be set by someone who understands and has experience in the educational profession. And if the outsiders do not trust the professionals, well, then find someone you do…and then trust them.

I am still trying to understand the actual role and priorities of the teacher’s unions too. I hear loud and clear what they say but... I am posting this political satire video here to show some of the frustration that I have already witnessed from parents, teachers and tax payers. The video would be funny if it was not eerily similar to a conversation I overheard recently while eating lunch in an undisclosed teacher’s lounge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kxc6kzH-uI

Relevance: This article highlights the challenge of this profession and I can see why some folks question sticking with it or even entering into it.

2 comments:

  1. That is why we don't teach them economics...ha ha. I laughed out loud at that line. My son was watching this with me and asked what is economics? Why don't they teach us that? Then my daughter asked if that was supposed to be funny?It was sarcastic - some would find it funny - some mean spirited. I don't know where I fall. But the last line was funny.

    I am looking forward to hearing what the union rep has to say when he comes to class. I would like to be better informed. Then I can decide what my stance is. I have read so many articles about unions and still don't feel like I have a decent grasp on what their role is.

    I looked on the one website Anita linked for us. I noticed that they did predominantly support democrats but there were a few republicans. I note this because the woman in the clip said they only supported democrats.

    Doug - I found your comment about being judged by a pilot when doing the duties of a pilot interesting. I too don't mind being held to a standard - I want my children's teachers to be held to one - but - I too want someone who KNOWS about teaching/learning/children/families/and other contributing factors - to at the very LEAST - have some say in the standards set for teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is an article on how much the teacher unions spend in politics. Interestingly, it says that the teacher's union spent $360 per teacher during the 2008 campaign in Oregon which tops the list of the country.

    I don't know the exact numbers but, I doubt much, if any, money went to anywhere other than the democrat party.

    It doesn't make sense to me that as a teacher, I am forced to pay the dues and in turn, pick candidates and support initiatives on my behalf. I also was surprised to see the union sending out emails and flyers using school computers and resources during school hours. Meanwhile, no opportunity for alternate viewpoints is allowed. As a voter, this monopoly is troubling because I think everyone should have choice about who and what they support.

    http://educationnext.org/teachers-unions-in-five-states-spent-more-than-100-per-teacher-on-political-campaigns/

    ReplyDelete