Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Dream Act becoming a Nightmare

"Dream Act: Top Students Among Illegal Immigrants," by Diana Marcum
December 2, 2010 of the Los Angeles Times

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-12-02/bay-area/25002970_1_illegal-immigrants-dream-act-alien-minors-act

This story, in a nutshell, states that some of California's best and brightest students are the sons and daughters of illigel immigrants, who, not having been born here are threatened with deportation at any time. Much like the LGBT community, these students live in fear of being outed and then being permanently outed from the country they call home. The Dream Act was created to address this problem.

For my own understanding, I checked the Dream act on Wiki and got this. Please bear with me:

The DREAM Act (acronym for Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors) is an American legislative proposal first introduced in the Senate on August 1, 2001[1] and most recently re-introduced there and the United States House of Representatives on March 26, 2009. A Senate filibuster blocked it on December 18, 2010.

This bill would provide conditional permanent residency to certain illegal and deportable alien students who graduate from US high schools, who are of good moral character, arrived in the U.S. illegally as minors, and have been in the country continuously for at least five years prior to the bill's enactment, if they complete two years in the military or two years at a four year institution of higher learning. The students would obtain temporary residency for a six year period. Within the six year period, a qualified student must have "acquired a degree from an institution of higher education in the United States or [have] completed at least 2 years, in good standing, in a program for a bachelor's degree or higher degree in the United States," or have "served in the uniformed services for at least 2 years and, if discharged, [have] received an honorable discharge."

Back in November, Cal State Fresno Student Body President Pedro Ramirez was outed by an anonymous tip. In a story in the LA Times he said, "In a way, I'm relieved," said Ramirez, a 22-year-old political science major from Tulare, Calif. "I don't want to be a liability or cost the school donations. I never really thought this was going to happen. But now that it's out there, I finally feel ready to say 'Yes, it's me. I'm one of the thousands.' "

In a KFSN radio interview from Fresno, Ramirez said, "When you lie or when you hold something back or you hold it in. It kind of blinds you and you don't know what to do. So coming out of the shadows and telling people what I am and what I've been through you know it's a big relief for me." said Ramirez.

Another Student, David Cho, is the drum major at UCLA and carries a 3.6 GPA. He came here from South Korea when he was 9. He told the world about his illegal status. He said, "At first my parents said, 'What are you doing? You're risking so much,' "But I told them, 'It's not only me. There are thousands of students like me trapped in a broken system. Unless our generation speaks out, the politicians won't tackle it. They have to see our faces.'"


He added, "I didn't know what would happen to me. Maybe I'd be deported," he said. "It seems funny now, but I wrote a will - a long, last letter to my family and friends."

I included these quotes because I think the message is much more poignant coming from those who are affected by the government's policy on illegal immigration. This story will continue to cause controversy in education policy for a long time to come. It needs to be addressed, especially in states like California where immigrant populations are so high. It doesn't make sense to me to deport contributing members of our society. Just one person's opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Tough situation, but I have a problem as a taxpayer and legal immigrant whose family had to endure years of hardship to get here, paying for people here illegally.
    This is a big drain on our system not only in education but also on all the other government services.
    Up until recently, anchor babies have been treated as citizens however, that may change too if the legal challenge to that policy gets to the supreme court. The 14th Amendment was written concerning the status of former slaves, not intended to address illegal aliens.
    Make no mistake, I'm not against immigrating or immigrants (especially because I am one), but I am for upholding the rule of law...and sometimes that is a tough thing to do.
    Picking and choosing which laws are ok to break and which laws aren't is problematic.
    There really isn't a win win solution here, to me it's just a tough case of obeying the law of the land.
    (And hey, if the majority don't like a law, then lets change it.)
    The other issue is that this population is often exploited just as slaves were in the past. You can hire an illegal for less pay, no benefits, no safe working conditions because you know they won't complain...this to me is the slavery that is happening today. Just as immoral as it was back then...and the only real way ahead that I can see is to enforce the laws that we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Doug, thanks for the comment. I agree that we cannot simply obey the laws that are convenient for us. I wish I could do that. And it is true that some illegals drain the economy through entitlements, border enforcement costs, deportation costs, etc. However, some members of society (agri-business and the service industry in particular) reap huge rewards by using illegals through lower wages and no benefits. Even though many illegals send money back home, they also pump alot of money into the economy (via food, utilities, gas, rent, fees, household items, etc.) There has to be a way to include these people legally. For those who want it, create a pathway to legal status so they can pay taxes like the rest of us. For those that don't, create work visas that include paying taxes here and limited stays. I think the US/Mexico should be more open, not less. All the money we're spending to patrol it seems like a waste to me. Open it up and force illegals to make the choice, be legal or leave. It's such a complex issue, politicians seem determined to let it drag on. But it needs to be dealt with. As an ESL teacher I like illegals because it gives me more students!

    ReplyDelete