Thursday, March 24, 2011

Notes From an Accidental Teacher

Article Author name(s): Carol Ann Tomlinson
Title of article: Notes From an Accidental Teacher
Title of journal: Educational Leadership
Date of publication: December 2010/ January 2011
Volume of the journal: 68
Issue number of the journal: 4
Article Page numbers: pp. 22-26

http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/dec10/vol68/num04/Notes-from-an-Accidental-Teacher.aspx

Summary: Forty year veteran teacher never had an itch to teach until she stumbled on a rural teaching job by chance. Over the years, this “accidental teacher” considers five beliefs to be useful in the positive structure of an educational system. Find a place that fits you: Find an environment that nurtures fearless practice and discovery. Work in schools that mirror your own development and value your goals and creativity. The place you teach at will have large influence over the type of teacher you become. Understand teaching as a calling: callings challenge us to be more than we think we can be and to draw on capacities we didn't quite know we had. Effective educators connect content and kids; they dignify whom and what they teach by making the act of learning dynamic and compelling. Know that you don’t know: The best teachers I have known are humbled by how much more they need to learn and seek professional development opportunities. Associate yourself with quality: Develop friendships with colleagues who set high standards and value those who constantly remind you of what excellence in the classroom looks like. Develop a keen sense of what quality looks like and expect quality from students and finally, Generate your own energy: All teachers feel they work hard, what makes the difference in the work ethic of high-quality teachers is that their work is regenerative; they draw energy from what they do. Finding this energetic balance of finding task is in itself what Mihalyi Csikszentmihalyi (1990) calls “flow”. Passions outside of the classroom will help to fuel a teacher’s sense of balance, and will re-energize the teacher.

Relevance: I loved these main points because they are insightful and not often voiced among the educational community. As new teachers it’s helpful for us to examine the most commonly passed advice, but it’s also useful to utilize the advice that may be “outside of the box” but especially effective.

2 comments:

  1. I had a teacher I work with share this article with me. I too really enjoyed it. I found the insightfulness both inspiring and practical. It confirms my desire to work at the school I am at. I see my school as fitting so much of what the author said - at least for me.

    I thought it was nice that this article was shared with me, it was brought in for one of our first year teachers. We have two first year teachers right now and the support they have been given is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the positiveness of this article. It reminds me that, if we keep an open mind, things we never imagined find their ways into our lives. This has certainly been true in my experience.

    I always tell candidates that one of the upsides of subbing after graduation is that it allows one to network and get to know different schools - i.e. to find that 'special fit' this author is talking about

    ReplyDelete