Thursday, February 3, 2011

Wanted: Ways to Assess the Majority of Teachers

Stephen Sawchuk,
Wanted: Ways to Assess the Majority of Teachers
Education Week
Published Online: January 31, 2011
Complete URL: http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2011/02/02/19teachers_ep.h30.html?tkn=UONFotSr%2BQgUE0fXqCxQQfSAICAGYTYvoRfA&cmp=clp-edweek

This article grapples with teacher-evaluation-frameworks. What is the most fair and accurate way to measure a teacher’s effectiveness? Some suggestions mentioned in the article were: textbook units, teacher-made assessments, district exams, and state tests, among other things. How do you evaluate teachers of grades or subjects where value-added data is unavailable? Performance assessments could provide useful information for evaluating teachers in these positions. This article highlights the conversations or debates taking place in numerous states, concerning teacher-evaluation-frameworks. It also touches on how some districts are addressing the evaluation of their teachers. This article’s intended audience is practitioners and administrators. The article is relevant to basically anyone wanting more information about topics directly affecting schools and education today.

8 comments:

  1. I am thinking compared to the other two posts this may be too brief? I was looking at the example Anita provided? Hmm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi JK, I agree with what you said. Here I summarized the outline myself. I hope it helps!

    Title of your article

    Name of author in newspaper
    Title of article in newspaper
    Title of newspaper
    Date of publication
    Complete URL

    Summary:
    Topic
    Introduction (Background, Review of the Literature)
    Intended audience
    Key point
    Relevance

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's not so much the brevity that is the issue but whether you cover the essentials of the source. i think what you have done here is just fine - it does not have to be long, as long as you address the key elements. you might add a sentence addressing how the authors respond to some of the questions you present [that is, if they do]. but you've done a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anita ~
    Thanks for the feedback. I edited my post and briefly added how the authors responded to the questions I presented. JK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, quick comment: the article that I wrote on talked about something called "value-added analysis." I see that you have a tag called "Added Value." Are you talking about the same thing?

    If so, one of us should change our tags so that both articles would come up when someone ran a search for either tag.

    This is shaping up to be a REALLY AWESOME research tool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes - I am talking about the same thing and am willing to change my tag. Thanks for pointing that out:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, cool. Thanks. I'm glad we're so active on here. Hopefully it keeps up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't really summarize this discussion:) It had nothing to do with the article I reviewed.

    ReplyDelete